These are the sorts of questions we grapple with on a daily basis. The Beliefs, Events, and Values Inventory (BEVI) helps us understand that who people are matters.
- What is the BEVI?
- ☆ News ☆
- Education & Learning
- Leadership, Organizations & Training
- Research & Evaluation
- Mental Health & Well-being
What is the BEVI?
The Beliefs, Events, and Values Inventory (BEVI) is an accessible, adaptable, and powerful analytic tool that can be used in a wide range of settings. It is currently in use in the contexts of Education & Learning; Leadership, Organizations, & Training; Research & Evaluation; and Mental Health & Well-being. For a more in-depth look at applications for these areas, click the links in the menu to the right.
- BEVI Administrator training in Washington, DC coinciding with NAFSA 2019
- 2019/3/27: APAIE 2019, Kuala Lumpur Convention Centre, Malaysia
”COIL-BEVI Project: Understanding Students’ Transformational Learning through Virtual Exchange”
- 2019/3/27: 5th International CREA Conference, Palmer House, Chicago, Illinois, USA
”Creative subgroup analysis of Japanese college students: Implications to culturally responsive quantitative methodology”
- 2019/2/12: 1-5pm through the 13th (8am-noon), Purdue University in West Lafayette, Indiana, USA
- 2018/10/26 American Council on Education: U.S.-Japan COIL Initiative Workshop, Washington DC, USA
Education and Learning
Our skilled and experienced consultants are available to provide as much support as groups, systems, organizations, or institutions need to successfully envision, design, and deliver analytical projects.
- accreditation application or review
- student body demographics and characteristics
- curriculum and program design
- evaluation of program effectiveness
The BEVI can help institutions engage individuals and groups in transformative learning and professional development. BEVI narrative reports of results for individuals provide gentle yet effective language to prompt personal reflection, and debriefing of aggregate, decile, and subgroup results promotes dialogue.
- assessment as pedagogy to enhance student learning
- faculty and staff professional development
- leadership development for institutional administration
Leadership & Organizations
For leaders to be sustainable and responsive they must see how their goals, values, and endeavors are connected with the goals, values, and endeavors of others. This process begins with self awareness. The BEVI can help leaders identify their own values and beliefs and their origins as well as the values and beliefs of their staff/employees. In both corporate and non-profit contexts, as well as within governmental organizations, working with a BEVI specialist to gain insights into strengths, skills, areas for improvement, and strategies for development can prove beneficial in all of the following contexts:
- Executive Coaching
- Professional Development
- Team Development
- Preparation for Relocation or Repatriation
- Human Resources
- Vision and Mission Alignment
At times, institutions, organizations, groups, and systems want to develop training activities for specific ends. Using the BEVI report system with groups of all sizes, training interventions may occur across a wide range of contexts and with highly diverse populations. These targeted experiences encompass
- traditional organizational and business settings
- governmental agencies
- non-governmental organizations
- educational institutions
- forensics settings
- community groups
- other regulatory bodies
Training using the BEVI typically involves the identification and pursuit of specific goals that leadership and/or members in different systems may value and wish to cultivate in a targeted and time-limited manner. The BEVI team will work with you to develop custom training that meets your specific needs and objectives.
Research & Evaluation
The BEVI is a state-of-the-art instrument that is reliable and valid for a wide array of contexts. It has been used in research as the primary tool of investigation as well as a complementary tool in conjunction with other instruments. The BEVI also includes qualitative and quantitative items, making it a useful tool for mixed methods approaches. This instrument may be just the tool you have been searching for if you are:
- a faculty or staff member who publishes scholarship of teaching, learning, and training
- a graduate student interested in using the BEVI for thesis or dissertation research
- an organization that wants to disseminate assessment or program evaluation findings
- a program evaluation consultant interested in adding the BEVI to your toolbox
- an entity willing to participate in large-scale multi-institution meta-analyses (see the Forum BEVI project as an example)
Mental Health & Well-being
Our needs and values sit at the core of who we are. They influence how we feel about the world and ourselves. Becoming aware of one’s beliefs and values and understanding how those values are acquired and maintained can be a healthy process when done with care and the support of professional clinicians or trainers. The BEVI can help professionals in their practice by providing them with the mechanism for making those values and beliefs visible. The BEVI can also allow clinicians and coaches to monitor the progress their clients make.
- mental health assessment and intervention
- life coaching
- Individual, couples, family, and group counseling
- conflict resolution
- group-based growth and development workshops
- well being assessment and facilitation